Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Love the Wonky Houses!

I'm a part of the Wonky House block swap and have been working on the 12 blocks to be sent out by March.  This is my most recent one and it's my favorite!


A close-up of the tree and girls:


I was inspired by the tutorial that I found on the comfortstitching blog by Aneela Hoey.  It was a tutorial on raw-edge applique to make the girl on a tree swing mini quilt.  It is such a beautiful quilt and I loved the technique.  I wanted to use it in this Wonky House block.

I started by cutting a piece of light fusible webbing  to the size of the house and ironing on pieces of aqua scraps that I had.


After I covered the fusible webbing with fabric, I pressed the whole piece onto white fabric and began the raw edge applique.  I used white rayon thread to sew around each piece of fabric.  When I was done, I trimmed the block:



Once this was done, the rest of the block just evolved.  I enjoyed the raw applique so I added the tree, girls and clouds, and sewed around each with the rayon thread. 

I'm really loving this particular swap because each block is different, and made with a different technique.  Many of them have been done freeform, which is way out of my comfort zone, but I really like the end result.  I've learned a lot of new techniques with this swap, and I'll be sad when it's done.  It's been a lot of fun!

2 comments: