I went back to my fabric collection and the orange fabrics caught my eyes. They showed well against the black and white ones. Of course, I was worried that it would be too Halloweenish and would clash too much with the turquoise fleece. Was I wrong! The blue color actually made the other colors more vibrant.
Black and white fabrics:
Unfortunately, just when I thought I solved the problem, there was another glitch. I decided to use turquoise fabric as my sashing, which worked well, but I didn't have enough of the fabric I wanted to use. This is a minor problem - it's easier to look for one fabric as opposed to many different ones, like I would have had to if I kept the original color scheme.
On my way home tomorrow, I'll stop by a sewing machine store that also sells fabric to see if they have what I need. My fingers are crossed since it will save me a trip to Manhattan. Parking is impossible in Manhattan, unless you're willing to spend a gazillion dollars for a parking lot.
I haven't finalized the pattern of the quilt, but I figured out the blocks - 6" orange blocks with borders of thin strips of black and white fabrics. I'll make the blocks tomorrow when the fabric is ready to be used. They're being washed as I type this post since I wasn't sure what was washed and what wasn't.
Can't wait to finally get going on this quilt!