Wednesday, October 5, 2011

New Technique - Tube Quilting

Yes, I know what you're thinking - what about the Circle of Geese quilt?  I didn't abandon it, but I had to try this new technique.  Right now my "season" is quilting, so of course I'm doing a lot of reading about it, trying to catch up with all the things I missed during my hiatus.  I've also been watching videos from the Missouri Star Quilting Company, which has a wide range of quilting tutorials.  The technique that is intriguing me is tube quilting, which is really sewing some strips of fabric into a tube, cutting triangles from the flat tube of strips and piecing the square blocks together.  Watch:




You can use this technique to do strip quilting by varing the width of the fabric strips that you sew together.  For example, I'm trying out this technique with 1 1/4" strips of black and white fabrics with a 2" strip of blue fabric.  I'll share some of the different block combinations that I make tomorrow when I cut out the squares. 

You can also use tube quilting to make bargello quilts.  I'm going to try that for my next baby quilt, which I will work on this weekend.  I'm enjoying making baby quilts with fleece backings.  It's super soft, warm, lightweight, and easily washable - all the things a new mom would want in a baby quilt.  This quilt is going to a baby girl who is long overdue for a gift.  More to follow tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment